Guardiola wants Eto'o to leave
Posted by
Editor at Monday, 20 July 2009
|
Share this post:
|
Asked about the situation of Barcelona forward and Cameroon international Samuel Eto'o (28), Barcelona manager Josep Guardiola has said at a press conference that he made the decision that the striker has to leave this summer:
"I'm convinced that the best thing for Barça is that Eto'o leaves. Can I be wrong? Of course. But I'm there to make a series of decisions. I feel that this is the best for the club and for the team.
This decision is exclusively mine. It's a feeling I have. I cannot change the character of anyone, but I can decide on which players I can count next season. After what we won last season, we need to make some changes in the dressing-room. And that doesn't only involve Samuel but also other players. I took this decision based on my experience as a player.
I perfectly understand that the people ask why, but this is my decision. Samuel is a great player and our excellent performances last season were, among other things, thanks to him. Without Samuel we probably wouldn't have won that many trophies. When we asked him to sacrifice himself for the team, he did that without complaining. So there are no sporting reasons. Samuel has his character, his personality and that makes him who he is. There's no one serious fact that lead to this decision.
I'm grateful to Samuel. He's fantastic. He has been an example on and off the pitch. I didn't yet talk to him about this. I hope he won't be angry. I always try to be straight and talk face-to-face. I cannot live otherwise. Of course there's a chance he stays and if that happens, we'll analyze the situation. I don't think we can keep Eto'o and sign Ibrahimovic. We're rich but not that rich."