Zhirkov: "Barça is my first option"
Posted by
Editor at Monday, 15 June 2009
|
Share this post:
|
CSKA Moscow left winger and Russian international Yuri Zhirkov (25) gave an interview to Catalan sports paper Sport.
The Spanish press is again talking about your possible transfer to a Barça team that made history. You've seen the team of Pep Guardiola play last season?
Of course. In Russia the Spanish league is closely followed and I watch a lot of games, especially those of Barça, my favourite team since many years. This season I've seen many games and the truth is they've played excellent.
Since when do you sympathize with Barça?
I don't remember... Since I was little. I always liked their way of playing and the idea about football they have.
Barça is full of star players. Messi, Xavi, Iniesta... Who is your favourite?
The whole team. They're all great. I cannot give you a name because the team has done perfect and all players have been important for the success of the team.
Besides Barça, there are other European clubs that are interested in you, like Juventus, and especially Chelsea. How do you feel about all that?
Well, all those rumours are constantly appearing on the web and in the media, but I prefer not to believe them. Until now, CSKA didn't receive any offer and they didn't start official negotiations with any club.
You know that Barcelona has let go Sylvinho and needs a new player on the left...
Yes, I know. And I would love to be that player. Despite that, at Barça the team is more important than the names and they always manage to overcome the absences. In the final of the Champions League for example, the two full backs were missing but the team still played a great game.
The British press assured that you have signed a contract with Chelsea... Is that true?
Of course not. The proof is that several weeks have already passed since those rumours and I'm still here, at CSKA. My club has never started talks about me with any club.
Chelsea's Russian owner Abramovich could make you choose for them?
Well, I don't know... But I repeat that my team is Barça and that I want to play there. Barça is my first option and I dream about being part of that club one day.
You see yourself playing for Barça next season?
In football, anything is possible, but first there should be an offer from Barça and then CSKA should accept it.
Read more:
CSKA Moscow left winger Zhirkov offered
Asenjo, Zhirkov and Silva main transfer targets
Zhirkov prefers to join Barcelona