Cesc wants to continue at Arsenal
Posted by
Editor at Sunday, 14 June 2009
|
Share this post:
|
Asked about a possible offer by Barcelona, Arsenal midfielder and Spanish international Cesc Fàbregas (22) has said in an interview with Catalan sports paper Sport that he wants to continue at Arsenal this summer:
"I didn't have any contact with Barcelona at all. An offer from Barça would of course be something special but Arsenal made me captain this season, so I have an added responsibility, my link with the club is stronger and I would be delighted to lift a trophy as captain of the gunners.
I want to win trophies, every player wants to be able to look back at a career with trophies. I want to win and I'm happy at Arsenal, but it has been four years without titles and for a player who wants to win that's a long time. If you don't win trophies, you cannot be happy although we didn't end the season in a bad way. We just couldn't make that last step. Maybe we just weren't good enough this season.
If Guardiola would call me, that would be something different. He has always be an example for me. I've always played at his position, because of him I wanted to wear the number four... Since I was a child, he was my football hero, the one I liked most. I've tried to imitate things he did and as a coach he has again shown what he's capable of. It's a person who will always be important in my life. He's someone worth to admire.
Could I play a role in next year's presidential elections? I don't know what will happen next year, so much things can happen... Football is so unpredictable that it's very difficult to talk about that. I know Sandro Rosell, yes. I talked with him once, but that was related with my brand. Nothing else. Could I play together with Xavi and Iniesta? I think good players can always play together but I insist that I'm an Arsenal player and that I cannot talk about all this.
I didn't talk with Arsène Wenger about my situation at the club and there's no reason for that because there's nothing new. I'm delighted to continue at Arsenal. If we need to talk one day, it will be behind closed doors and there won't be any problems."
Read more:
Barcelona wants Cesc and four other players
Van Persie, Malouda and Mata next on the list
Manchester United wants to sign Toure