Barcelona not willing to accept Valdes demands
Posted by
Editor at Friday, 12 June 2009
|
Share this post:
|
Barcelona sports director Txiki Begiristain, Barcelona sports vice-president Rafael Yuste and Barcelona director of football Raúl Sanllehí met yesterday with the representatives of Barcelona goalkeeper Víctor Valdés (27), his father José Valdés and player's agent Ginés Carvajal.
After a first positive meeting last week on the renewal of the player, whose contract expires in 2010, it was generally believed that a deal could be closed but after 45 minutes in the Camp Nou offices things seem to have gotten only more complicated.
Asked about the meeting, Carvajal told journalists that a deal isn't anywhery close at this moment: "We've made an offer but we're still far away. It's complicated. The atmosphere during the meeting was correct but it won't be easy. I respect the interests of the club but Víctor never asked for a pay rise before. Now the time of the renewal is there and we can ask something.
We understand that what they offer is what they consider to be right, but the duration nor the salary is coming close to what Víctor Valdés is asking. He cannot be compared to Casillas but at this moment he's Barcelona's goalkeeper, he has won three trophies this year and he was again the goalkeeper who received the least goals in the Liga.
We're not disappointed, we're only defending the interests of the player. Víctor wishes to continue but life doesn't end at Barça. And he's not out yet, he has another year on his contract. We're not having concrete offers from other clubs but it's time to make a decision. We're 11 June, so there's time left but we want to have an answer soon so this doesn't turn into a soap opera."
Asked about the renewal negotiations with Valdés, Barcelona president Joan Laporta said in an interview with Catalan radio station RAC 1 that Valdés will have to lower his demands: "I cannot imagine Valdés wearing another shirt. I know how the meeting went and I can only hope the player perfectly knows the offer made by his agent. If he knows about it, I would like him to reconsider it. We have to be patient to see if we can reach an agreement although their demands have surprised us a lot."
Catalan sports paper El Mundo Deportivo claims that Valdés, whose salary reportedly hasn't been raised since he signed his previous contract in 2005, wants to earn as much as the group of players who are having the highest salaries behind Messi. Although Barcelona raised their first offer, they made clear that it's impossible to meet the demands of the player.
Next week there could be a new meeting but Barcelona hopes that the entourage of the player changes its position in the meantime. It's also possible that Barcelona tries to talk personally with Valdés or that Barcelona president Laporta personally takes charge of the negotiations like he did during the renewal negotiations with Xavi last year.
Madrid sports tabloid As claims that the two parties didn't schedule a new meeting but that talks are planned to go on by phone. Both the club and the player's entourage would think that some time should pass to let things cool off.
Read more:
Valdes wins his second Zamora trophy
Toure rejects first renewal offer
Agent Valdes putting pressure on renewal talks