this post was published exactly one year ago:
During his official presentation (read more here), new Barcelona manager Josep Guardiola expressed his first ideas about the team, the players, the transfers and the way of playing.
On the system: "We have to go after each game, I'm an absolute fan of attacking football. If I see the ball close to the opposite goal, I'm more relaxed. I've read that we're only buying defenders, but we'll attack better when we have a better defence. We'll play with three guys up front and midfielders who are pushing forward."
On the attitude: "I believe in talent and hard work. I want to see the team running. People should be proud cause they see the players are giving everything on the pitch. I want every player, also the forwards, to feel partly guilty when the opponent scores a goal. I can forgive them if they play bad, but not if they don't work."
On the transfers: "I'm sure I'll be offered a great squad. I cannot do everthing on my own. It's me who is in charge of the transfers, I'm the one who takes the decisions. But I'm not the one who pays and signs the players. For us, it's clear which players we want to sign and which players we want to let go. Márquez is part of my plans."
On Ronaldinho, Eto'o and Deco: "All the players who were a part of last season's squad are great players. With the technical department we're now composing a new squad and in doing so, we're not thinking about Deco, Ronaldinho and Eto'o. But we'll see how things go. After analizing their performances and other issues, I think an exit would be the best for the team.
If I would feel that Ronaldinho would really want to return to be the player he once was, he could be here. But he has the circumstances against him. The situation is getting worse and I want to make a strong dressing-room. That's the basic thing. If those players would stay in the end, I will give everything to bring them back to their top level."
On the transfers of forwards: "I'm looking for a centre forward who is complementary to Henry and Bojan. All three should feel first choice. The names who are out there in the papers are all good players. We're considering the transfer of a wing attacker but if it's not possible, that's not a problem. The priority is a centre forward. Although he seems a very good player to me, I wouldn't find Cristiano Ronaldo a place in the team."
On the Barcelona B players: "We'll take five to seven players to the pre-season training camp. We'll see how the squad will be composed and then we'll decide who's going to stay."
On the training sessions: "The day before and the day after each game, the training session won't be public."
Read more 17 June 2008 news:Record MLS offer for RonaldinhoMilan rejects Pirlo interestTalks with Arsenal on Adebayor-Hleb package deal