Fast Analysis: Atletico Vs Guardiola
Posted by
Editor at Sunday, 1 March 2009
|
Share this post:
|
I don’t want to talk about the worst man in the match (the referee) who served us more than wiped us.
I don’t want to talk about individual players and how they performed.
I am sure lot of talking will take place about that. Or simply we will say, the players are tired.
The same players who are fresh enough to score 3 times are too tired to make sure not to get conceded more.
The same team that is so tired but still make only one substitution in the game against Lyon and another against Atletico, may be we have no better player than the ones we started? Sylvinho is better than Caceres who contained the kun in the cup game. May be Gudjhonsen is better than busquets?
The same team that even when tired they still play an open exhausting game after scoring twice.
The same exhausted team that his captain and most experienced player, instead of clearing out the ball to get ride of the late danger in the game, he decides to ignore his fatigue and to cut a ball by dribbling the opponent in our own box, why? Because we have to keep the ball in the run so we attack and attack and then attack.
And definitely, the team was so tired to clear the balls to the sidelines instead of sending it to the edge of the box , inviting the opponent players for a shooting carnival. Even though the coaching staff gave the clear instructions about this issue after it happened many times in some other games, but when You are exhausted thats how you clear the ball...Sure...Its a Fatigue problem.
I don’t want to talk about the little I know, but I want to seek the answers for what I didn’t understand. I am not an experienced coach, and no doubt I am so far from being a Guardiola, may be that’s why I have no right to be critical, who am I to know? So all your answers are welcomed, Dear Barcelona fans.
Dear Pep;
1) I didn’t understand how against a team having two dangerous strikers and two wings with pace we play Sylvinho and Alves and with only one defensive midfielder in front. I always mentioned the Vacuum tube between our Defense and offense where the opponent generate fast counter attacks. But at least we usually had 3 defenders to cover our back and the opponents were not Simao-Maxi-Kun and forlan. I didn’t understand how this was meant to work. I really like to know…
2) Playing Henry and Eto'o as forwards with Messi behind was a great idea, But I couldn’t understand what was exactly Eto’o role? Inbox striker? Second striker? It just felt he was only closing the space Messi needed to penetrate to the box.
3) Was Gudjhonsen really able to catch the pace of a game against the mentioned names above? I would understand if he played either an offensive role or defensive role, but Box-to-Box? Any hint?
I understand that the game tempo may turn unpredictable. So the first half was as they say its for players to do the job. But isn’t the second half for the Coaches? I didn’t understand the following:
1) Why had I got the feeling that Caceres was a must at the beginning of the second half? May be because I felt its too much for uncle Syl to keep the level of the game? Or may be because Alves was not fresh enough to bounce back fast, so Only Puyol and Marquez were there to face their destiny? Why do I remember the past Gio-Beletti partnership at the moment?
2) Why was it so certain for me that Busquets is needed in Gudjhonsen place in the second half to play beside Yaya? I just thought they can make sure the ball do NOT move that often around our box and inside it. It felt if we can dominate the ball, Messi and co can always have their ways to score more, especially when we were winning the game and Atletico had no choice but to open the field.
3) Why had I even thought it will be a good Idea to get Hleb as a forth midfielder to play beside Xavi, taking Eto’o out so we contain the opponent in midfield and open more space for counters? I thought even when Hleb move with the ball in circles as we all hate, he will end up driving Atletico players crazy, they NEED the ball to score a draw, they may foul him (creating free kicks for us or at least that fouling will stop the ball and slow down the tempo a little), they will run all for him and that may free Xavi a little. That’s what I thought at least.
4) When it felt that our Players knees are not handling the fast tempo anymore, I thought we can play it the German way. Absorb the tempo, cool down the heat, and then hunt a goal. But we kept playing our own way attack, attack and then attack...and don’t look behind you while looking forward!
5) I have been taught that in tough times, the coach need to stand on the line, so his players feel his presence. Was I taught wrong?
6) Two weeks ago, when we were still having the 12 points advantage, I said now its time for two Defensive midfielder to avoid exhausting transition and fast counters while we are passing through a heavy schedule. How come I was right?
I don’t know why I didn’t understand all the way this game was managed. But probably that’s why you are an accomplished footballer, and we still have a long way to be there, if we ever will, and I doubt.
But I am calm, because there is one thing I know for sure, I believe in you and I believe in the guys. They are the best in the world and they play for the best team. You are our football Icon and the club inspiration and legend. We will get out of this tunnel! This season is ours and no one will take it away.
I hope I understand more with time. Or may be it was just “Fatigue” NOT!!!!
Kind Regards, and forgive my ignorance.